How can we help?
Browse packing peanuts & loosefill from Macfarlane Packaging
Macfarlane Packaging’s packing peanuts and loosefill range provides an ideal cost-effective and efficient void fill solution. Our selection includes standard packing chips and biodegradable packing peanuts, providing versatile options to suit various packaging needs.
Packing chips are a cost-effective and easy-to-use void fill solution, providing excellent cushioning and protection for your valuable products.
This type of protective packaging is perfect for filling voids in shipping boxes once items have been packed, ensuring products are protected during transit.
Choose from our standard Loosefill Packing Chips, crafted from 100% recycled content, or opt for our Pelaspan® Bio Loosefill, which is 100% compostable, making an ideal eco-friendly packing option.
With Macfarlane Packaging, you can trust in premium-quality, environmentally conscious packing peanuts and loosefill, ensuring your products reach their destination safely and securely.
Quick facts about our range of packing peanuts & loosefill
- Loosefill packing chips are ideal for filling voids once items have been placed into their outer shipping boxes
- Choose from our bio or regular packing peanuts
- Bags of 7.5 or 15 cubic feet available
- Our regular packing chips are made from 100% recycled content, whereas our bio loosefill is 100% compostable
- Packing peanuts are a great, cost effective and easy-to-use void fill solution
Our range of Loosefill Packing Chips
Environmental Impact Rating – Loosefill
Our Environmental Impact Rating (EIR) shows an OPRL recycling label, the recycling category of the packaging material and the recycled content contained in the material.
Our range of Pelaspan® Bio Loosefill
Environmental Impact Rating – Pelaspan® Bio Loosefill
Our Environmental Impact Rating (EIR) shows an OPRL recycling label, the recycling category of the packaging material and the recycled content contained in the material. Here is the EIR for our range of packing peanuts & loosefill.
Free protective packaging guide download
Our FREE guide to protective packaging will:
- Find information about different protective packaging products available from Macfarlane Packaging,
- Learn about packaging automation, packaging and recycling.
- Find answers to some of the frequently asked questions related to protective packaging.
- Provide a guide to protective automation.
- Provide a guide to recycling & packaging.
- Help find the right protective packaging solution for your business with our variety of protective products.
- Consider the size of your product, the weight and how fragile your product is.
- Determine what type of protective packaging your products need.
Packing Peanuts & Loosefill FAQs
Are packing peanuts edible?
No, packing peanuts (also called packing chips) are not edible and should not be consumed. Packing chips are typically made from expanded polystyrene (EPS) or biodegradable materials like starch-based polymers. These materials are not intended for human consumption and can pose health risks if ingested.
The regular packing peanuts made from expanded polystyrene (EPS) are not biodegradable and can be harmful if ingested, leading to potential choking hazards and digestive issues. Biodegradable packing peanuts, made from starch-based materials, are designed to break down more easily in the environment, but they are still not suitable for consumption.
To ensure safety, it’s essential to keep packing peanuts and any other packaging materials out of reach of children and pets. Properly dispose of packing peanuts by recycling them or following the guidelines provided by your waste management provider.
When it comes to biodegradable packing peanuts, they should be composted or disposed of in accordance with local regulations for biodegradable materials.
If you have concerns about the safety of any packaging material, it’s best to consult with the packaging manufacturer for proper guidance.
What is loosefill packaging?
Loosefill packaging, also known as packing peanuts or loose fill packing chips, is a type of protective packaging material used to fill empty spaces or voids in shipping boxes and packages. It is designed to provide cushioning and protect the contents from damage during transit.
Loosefill packaging is typically made from two main types of materials:
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS): Traditional packing peanuts are made from expanded polystyrene, which is a lightweight and rigid material boasting excellent shock-absorbing properties. EPS packing peanuts are not biodegradable and are often used for cushioning fragile and delicate items.
- Biodegradable Materials: Macfarlane Packaging offers bio packing chips from starch-based polymers. These biodegradable packing peanuts are designed to break down more easily in the environment, reducing their environmental impact compared to traditional EPS peanuts.
Loosefill packaging is a popular choice for providing void fill and cushioning for various products during shipping. When used properly, it helps prevent products from shifting and moving within the packaging, reducing the risk of damage during transportation.
While traditional EPS packing chips are not easily recyclable, some biodegradable loosefill options offer a more environmentally friendly alternative. Businesses can choose loosefill packaging that aligns with their sustainability goals and ensures products reach their destination safely and securely.
Are packing peanuts recyclable?
At the moment, packing chips are not recyclable through home or local recycling waste streams.
However, Macfarlane’s Pelaspan® Bio Loosefill is made from starch, so it is compostable.
What is biodegradable loosefill?
Biodegradable loosefill is a type of protective packaging material used for void fill and cushioning during shipping and packaging. Unlike traditional packing peanuts made from expanded polystyrene (EPS), which are not biodegradable, biodegradable loosefill is designed to break down naturally in the environment over time.
Biodegradable loosefill is made from starch-based polymers. These renewable and compostable materials are derived from natural sources like corn or potatoes and are formulated to biodegrade under certain conditions. When disposed of properly in a composting environment, biodegradable loosefill breaks down into natural components without leaving harmful residues or polluting the environment.
The main advantages of using biodegradable loosefill include:
- Environmental Friendliness: Biodegradable loosefill reduces the environmental impact of packaging materials, as it does not contribute to long-lasting waste in landfills or oceans.
- Compostability: Many biodegradable loosefill options are compostable, which means they can be added to compost piles to decompose and contribute to soil enrichment.
- Safety: Biodegradable loosefill is non-toxic and safe for handling, making it suitable for various packaging applications.
- Versatility: Biodegradable loosefill can be used to protect a wide range of products, providing effective cushioning and void fill during shipping.
While biodegradable loosefill offers environmental benefits, it is essential to ensure that it is disposed of correctly to allow for proper decomposition. Businesses and consumers should follow local waste management guidelines for compostable materials and avoid mixing biodegradable loosefill with other waste streams that may hinder its ability to biodegrade effectively.
See the features of our packing peanuts & loosefill
Packing chips and loosefill wholesale available across the UK and beyond. You can have packing peanuts and loosefill delivered to you from one of our regional distribution centres. UK delivery is available to and around the following locations:
Aberdeen, Aylesbury, Banbury, Barnsley, Bath, Bedford, Bicester, Birmingham , Bolton, Bradford, Bridgewater, Bridport, Bristol, Burton-upon-Trent , Cambridge, Chelmsford , Cheltenham, Chester , Chichester, Colchester Cornwall, Coventry, Crewe, Derby, Devon, Dewsbury, Dudley, Dundee, Durham, Edinburgh, Essex, Exeter, Fareham, Gateshead, Glasgow Glossop Gloucester, Grantham, Harlow, Heathrow, Hemel Hempstead, Hereford, High Wycombe, Horsham, Hull, Inverness, Isle of Wight, Kent, Kidderminster, Lancaster Leamington Spa, Leeds, Lincoln, Liverpool , London , Luton , Manchester, Middlesborough, Milton Keynes, Newbury, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Norfolk, North Wales , Northampton, Nottingham , Oldham, Oxford , Plymouth, Reading, Salisbury, Sheffield, Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury, Slough, Somerset , Somerton, South Shields, South Wales, Stafford, Stockport , Stoke-on-Trent , Stratford-Upon-Avon, Sudbury, Sunderland, Surrey, Sussex , Teesside, Telford, Uxbridge, Wakefield, Walsall, Warrington, Warwick , Watford, Wigan, Windsor, Wolverhampton, Worcester, Wrexham, Yeovil, York.