The Packaging Optimiser can illustrate how changes to your packaging can help remove carbon emissions from your supply chain
The role of good packaging is to protect your products. If your packaging is doing its job, it will help you limit your impact on the environment.
We can help you with environmentally friendly packaging materials that reduce waste in your supply chain and lower your carbon emissions.
Eco-friendly packaging products that will support your sustainability goals
Packaging is an essential component in most supply chains to ensure products arrive
at their destination safely and intact. However, it is important that packaging is designed and used properly to minimise its impact on the environment.
We provide protective packaging that uses the minimum amount of material possible, is recyclable and uses recycled content where feasible, while ensuring it still provides appropriate protection.
Examples of our eco-friendly packaging
Ranpak® Geami WrapPak®
Paper Mailing Bags
FillPak®Fanfold Paper – Greenline
Paper Bubble Wrap
Paper Document Wallets
Paper Carrier Bags
Pelaspan® Bio Loosefill
The Right Pack
Good packaging must be carefully planned from the start to reduce waste and support sustainability.
The ideal sustainable packaging provides maximum protection with minimal use of material.
We apply the 3Rs – reduce, reuse, and recycle, as part of our approach to packaging.
The right choice of packaging materials and JIT delivery can eliminate waste, reducing your packaging footprint and saving space.
Lighter, smaller packs mean pallet optimisation, which can reduce the number of journeys you take, reduce load weight and cut fuel use and emissions.
Half the environmental cost
Better pack design reduces damages. Each time damaged goods are replaced the carbon cost of a transaction increases.
Less energy & materials wasted
Automation is a key productivity improvement. It reduces pack types and minimises the use of materials while increasing throughput.
Most of the packaging that can deliver these supply chain benefits is fully recyclable, made from recycled material or reusable, something more and more customers are demanding.
Steps to sustainability
We know that eco-friendly packing materials can play a huge part in corporate and sustainability goals for businesses, with many looking to reduce packaging use and minimise material waste.
We can help you take your sustainability to the next level when it comes to packaging. Our approach will identify the impact packaging has on your operation and redress its impact throughout the supply chain.
If you take our Steps to Sustainability and swap to more environmentally friendly packaging, we can help you to reduce material use, shrink your carbon footprint and minimise waste across your supply chain.
Step 1: Talk to us about your Sustainability Goals
We can help identify the key environmental costs in your packaging operation and help you reduce or eliminate them.
Step 2: Identify sustainable packaging alternatives
We will recommend opportunities to reduce, reuse or recycle, and reduce material use.
Step 3: Assess the knock-on effect of packaging
We will look at reductions in shipment weight, product damages and return rates. We’ll help you reduce your fleet (or courier) carbon emissions.
Step 4: Illustrate and Report Savings
We’ll help you calculate and report reductions so that you can share the improvements with your customers and stakeholders. See our Packaging Optimiser tool
See the Environmental Impact Rating of our products
We know that making an informed choice about sustainability and packaging is important.
That’s why we introduced an Environmental Impact Rating (EIR) for every item we sell in our packaging catalogue. The EIR for each product shows an OPRL recycling logo (On Pack Recycling Label), the material’s recyclability category, how much recycled content the packaging materials contain and if the packaging is reusable or not.Request a catalogue
Macfarlane Packaging is working to protect the environment too…
As well as helping our customers make informed choices about eco-friendly packaging, Macfarlane Packaging is committed to reducing its impact on the environment too.
Some of the positive commitments to sustainability we’re making include:
- Lowering our carbon emissions
- Using renewable energy at all our UK sites
- Introducing electric vehicles into our fleet
- Cutting paper use across the Macfarlane Group
Our certifications, awards and standards
Macfarlane Packaging is a responsible business and has a number of environmental certifications and awards that will give you peace of mind we are operating, and sourcing your packaging, ethically.
- FSC® Certification – our FSC certification means we source many of our paper-based packaging materials from FSC managed sources, which means they meet stringent ethical production standards. Wood harvested for paper is harvested from forests that are responsibly managed, socially beneficial, environmentally conscious and economically viable.
- Sedex® Membership – Sedex is one of the world’s leading ethical trade membership organisations. We work to Sedex standards to ensure we operate our supply chains transparently, sustainably and responsibly, protecting workers in the supply chains and sourcing ethically.
- EcoVadis Rating – Macfarlane Packaging has a Silver EcoVadis rating. The assessment focuses on corporate policies, initiatives and achievements in four key areas: Environment, Labour & Human Rights, Ethics and Sustainable Procurement. By completing this assessment, it not only demonstrates our commitment to CSR but also provides our customers with a “pre-audited” supply chain by an independent assessor.
- ISO14001 Accreditation – we meet the internationally agreed standards of ISO14001, which support the effectiveness of our environmental management system. It helps us improve environmental performance through more efficient use of resources and reduction of waste.
- Smartest Energy – we source a large portion of our energy from renewable resources, to help minimise our impact on the environment.
Take the first step by contacting us today
Talk to us about your eco-friendly packaging
See how we can help you be more sustainable
See how our Packaging Review can help you remove waste and emissions from your operation
We can help you uncover where costs are hiding in your packaging operation – including costs to the environment!
Blogs about eco-friendly packing materials and sustainability
How using less stretch wrap can positively impact sustainability goals
In today’s environmentally conscious world, businesses across all industries are striving to adopt sustainable practices and reduce their carbon…
A guide to UK environmental packaging regulations
Packaging and the environment often go hand in hand these days. It’s important that we minimise our impact on the planet, and packaging plays a key …
Recycling symbols explained: a guide to labels found on packaging
Effective packaging needs to be carefully thought out from the start to minimise waste and support sustainability. The best sustainable packaging offe…